Sunday, November 18, 2007

Slowly but Surely, Fluffing and Stuffing

I've had trouble finding any sewing time this week, but I have started quilting the bear paws and hope to have them finished by Thanksgiving. I'm celebrating here with friends on Saturday - if I'm feeling kind (and if I find the time) I'll bring some pumpkin bread or the such to my classes on Thursday. I did manage to do a little baking for tomorrow this evening - the famous Lingonberry Tea Cake.

So far, I'm stitching in the ditch along the sashing. I remember Paula Reid talking about fluffing and stuffing at Maine Quilts a few years ago and I find it much easier than rolling and unrolling. Next I think I'm going to stitch 1/4" inside the paws themselves. (You'll notice that I don't usually quilt with my walking foot - not sure why not - have never gotten used to it and feel like it works ok without it.)

Went to a fabulous play here in Vaasa last night - an absurd cabaret inspired by the poetry of Christian Morgenstern. More about it here (på svenska). Wasa Teater is also doing Dicken's A Christmas Carol this year - I hope I can get there before I leave for the holidays!

7 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the fluff and stuff method, I'm also mad about plaid... great quilt!

Andrea said...

I always use the stuff and fluff method - can't stand all that rolling business. I love this Bears Paw quilt so much I have been scouting about for some plaid fabrics. I have found some lovely pastel ones but am holding out for their sale in 2 weeks as they discount everything !!

Libby said...

I'm a fluffer/stuffer, too. As for the walking foot - I don't use it because it just seems like the sound is 'clunky' and makes me feel like things are going wrong.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the plaid bear paws (and I don't always use my walking foot for quilting, either... ). I never did master the roll-it-up method.

Deborah Levy said...

Your bear paw is looking good...progress is good! And it doesn't matter how it is accomplished, do what ever works for you. Looking forward to the finished product!

Unknown said...

I don´t know this fluff and stuff way of quilting! Isn´t slowly but surely the best way?

Mom said...

what's fluff and stuff??

And are you doing your quilting with feed dogs up or down? I am a seasoned hand quilter that is having a very hard time getting into machine quilting because I take most of it out!