Wednesday, October 01, 2008

It's Not Like Riding a Bicycle

Another confession... It's been so long since I've done any quilting, that when I sewed the binding on my mini this week, I sewed it to the back, so that I had to do the hand sewing on the front side of the quilt. It looks ok, but still - what was I thinking?! It's for the 6-12" mini swap mushroom/owl theme (with owl fabric on the back). The second September one will be on its way soon (I've been a little under the weather). Inspired by Tonya and friends, I'm pulling out the solids in my stash (there aren't many of them).

Here's another little 'doll' quilt I whipped up about a year ago with scraps from this baby quilt. I finally sent it off to Hong Kong for the now one-year-old's first birthday, along with Herra Hakkarainen (called Mr. Clutterbuck in English!).

I received this little mini in the mail this week, to tide me over for a late swap quilt. I won't post the quilters name/link (for fear of shaming her for the delay!), but will do so when the swap quilt arrives. The quilting on this simple piece is terrific - sorry it doesn't show up better in the photo (apologies for the blurry photo). It reminds me of something from Geometry class.

There has also been knitting. Happy Socktober!

I'll end with a sunrise photo from my window in Vaasa this week (about 7:30am).

12 comments:

Tamara said...

I love your mushroom inspired mini quilt, T x

Libby said...

What a glorious sunrise!

jacquie said...

oh i've so done that too. i don't think it makes a bit of difference since the quilt is so cute. lovely picture too!

Karen said...

Love the mini.

Vicki W said...

Lots of cool stuff there but that sunrise photo is absolutely awesome!

Clare said...

I love that first mini quilt and the picture of the sunrise is beautiful.

xx

Paula, the quilter said...

I've done that too. After I realize what I've done, I just sew down the binding using the invisible applique stitch that I learned from Ami Simms' book. I know there is another name for this stitch, but I can't remember it right now.

Unknown said...

Happy Socktober to you too.

Andrea said...

oooh, what a cute little mushroom! Fun! Fun!

Magpie Sue said...

Holy cow, what colors in that sunrise!!! Yummy!

I was tempted to try putting the binding on the back and bringing it to the front recently but chickened out at the last minute ;- )

Anonymous said...

spectacular sunrise!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the mushroom quilt. It is beautiful. I really like the northern woods feel of it. The bark is great.

THANK YOU.

I am also enjoying the tea.