I love the contrast between the perfect squares and the imperfect letters! It was so fun after the little one inch squares to make these letters without measuring. The seam allowances aren't consistent and I didn't even pin! My letters are a little too skinny, but I'm happy with them as a first try. Many, many thanks to Tonya for her excellent tutorial - I love all the different examples she provides throughout. And thanks, too, to everyone who has followed her lead, producing quilts with letters that served as inspiration to me!
I'm going to put the couple's names on the back of the wall-hanging to personalize it (I'm not very good at remembering to sign/label my quilts). I started out with the idea of including the date, as well, but my letters were a little too big and September has too many letters. I have two extra E's hanging around now, since that's where I started.
I'm using up all the scraps from the front on the back - every little bit, since it was made with quarters and fat quarters. Piecing a back is something new for me, too. I've only done it once before and I wasn't so happy with that experiment because the in-the-ditch quilting didn't match up with the strip of blocks on the back. Some sort of all over pattern - or maybe in this case concentric on point squares - should prevent that frustration.