Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Quilting Leafy Rosy

Victoria asked me how I was going to quilt this top, so I thought I'd post the answer here. First of all, it took much longer than I thought it would - and much more thread! The entire quilt, including piecing, took about 2000 meters of thread! I used Aurifil Mako 50, my all-time favorite thread. I'm happy with the results, though! Now I just need to sew down the binding and then I'll do a proper photo shoot!

This first picture is the overall quilting design. Not sure if it makes sense to anyone but me. Very few starts and stops, starting with straight lines 1/4" on either side of the large (7.5") blocks, and free-motion 'roses' on the diagonal through the large blocks. This left me with the nine-patches. I like doing this back and forth squiggle and wanted to come up with a way to do it in each of the nine patches without having to start and stop in the middle of the quilt. Here's what I came up with:

I hope it might be useful to someone out there!

3 comments:

Bed Linens said...

It a lot of work, but it looks gorgeous.

Jeanne said...

This is a very clever quilting plan! I do all my own quilting, so I'm saving this idea for sure!
Jeanne :)

Victoria M. said...

Thank you SO much for sharing your quilting design. It definitely makes sense. The way you have eliminated a lot of starts and stops is just great. The idea of having to start and stop all the time is what has been putting me off about quilting my 9 patch top. I love your freehand rose and how it begins in one corner and exits in the opposite one. Also the back and forth squiggle that you have come up with for the 9 patch blocks is sheer genius. I'll be giving it a try on a practice piece in hopes that I can do it as well as you did.