Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas Coasters

Can't post that Irish Chain project yet, but here's a little peak at Santa's Vaasa workshop. These coasters were so easy to make! The hardest part was the cutting (six 5" squares for each). I used this great tutorial and whipped them up in exactly an hour. I used thin batting instead of fusable web. If I were to do it again, I might use something thinner - maybe felt? I also might start with 4.5" squares rather than 5". The bottom is a dark green I rejected for the Tea TATW project and the inner (unseen) fabric is just muslin. The top fabrics are a mixture of plaids, ginghams, and homespuns that came together in a stack of fat quarters I bought at the Lowell Quilt Festival in 2004. I'm determined to buy some Christmas supplies when I'm in the US in February - ten months should give me enough time to make some gifts for 2007!

I brought the coasters with some Christmas tea to a Secret Santa swap tonight - it was the Christmas party of the Finnish-speaking quilt group here in Vaasa held here. I received some Christmas tea (glögi flavored) and this cute gingerbread candle. Can't wait to give them both a try!

6 comments:

Diana said...

hi, I loved the little coasters. Our quilt group has been passing the pattern for these around for the past couple of months, but ours lacks the fusible web or batting. Using one or the other makes more sense than leaving it plain, because liquid won't soak through as easily! A quilt shop around here sells "charm packs" of five-inch squares and this is what I've used to make these in the past.

I've really enjoyed reading your blog!

Diana

Angie said...

Oooh Hedge, I love your coasters!! The colors are exactly the colors of Christmas for me. I love plaids. Good job, girly!

Anonymous said...

You are entirely too productive :)

The coasters look great and I bet the candle smells divine.

Cynthia said...

very nice coasters Jen. I like the fabrics you used.

Libby said...

Love the coasters - the fabrics are just perfect. I'm a sucker for wovens and plaids *s*

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your coasters turned out wonderful! I'm slowly trying to get back into the world of the healthy and living!