Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Little Finlands and Little Scotlands for a Little American

I made some progress on the baby quilt for my cousin's new baby today - 16 12" blocks. Hopefully I can get it in the post by Monday! I tried not to plan much in terms of lights, darks, etc. and not to measure much (but did stick to 2" strips) and didn't use any pins. All a good warm up for Tonya's class, I hope!


My visiting engineer friend really liked how crooked things were - nice way to buck stereotypes - the engineer trying to get the language teacher to break the quilt police rules! As soon as she looked at my blocks, she said they looked like little Finnish flags. (Born in Glasgow, I had to point out that there were also little Scottish flags in the mix!) Flags are a theme for me these days - photos of a secret project to come soon.


17 comments:

Unknown said...

A simple concept which looks very effective - just right for a baby boy

Unknown said...

This is so "light" the colors are perfect. I do see the Finish flag, and yes the Scottish too :)

Libby said...

I see both flags - how fun is that? A perfect way to get the new one interested in all parts of the world *s*

Laurie Ann said...

That is cute and so original! I love love love it. Fun!!!!

dot said...

Wow, earlier I couldn't leave a comment and am happy that I can now. I was thinking the same as your room mate with the last post. I thought it looked like Finnish flags and that you had did that on purpose. What a great quilt, reminder of the place of origin. Not every baby in the US recives an Finish flag quilt made in Finland.

Jeannette Bruce said...

ooohhh, I really love this. Great progress.

Magpie Sue said...

What a fun quilt! May have to make one like it myself someday :- )

Tonya Ricucci said...

beautiful. I love that you're using different sizes. That's right - loosen up! It's not like grammar, you don't have to follow the rules to be understood.

loulee said...

Beautiful. I can see both of those flags in there, what a truly international gift.

comicbooklady said...

Secret flag project? I am intrigued! I like the blues in this project!

mereth said...

I love the crosses too, and the blue and white colour scheme; this looks like it would be such a fun quilt to make.
I'm wondering how I'll go with doing 'wonky', I usually make everything measure up exactly. I want to learn to loosen up too!

Clare said...

Second attempt - connection is playing havoc with my head today!

Pins? Who needs pins? I only use them for the red and white quilts and find that machining without them really does speed things up. No crunching noises as the foot runs into them without me seeing and no broken needles. Keep on the wonky path - you'll enjoy it.

Gorgeous blues and whites and a beautiful quilt. Enjoy Tonya's class and I look forward to seeing your work.

Amanda Jean said...

it's beautiful!

I like breaking the quilting rules and making things wonky, too. It's so freeing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love the fabrics and the blocks! It looks wonderful1

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful.

Chookyblue...... said...

looks great and it is nice to sometimes not follow the perfect lines........

Helen in the UK said...

What a great quilt! Love the way you've mixed up the block sizes and the tones :)