Sunday, May 06, 2007

Slut med Små Båtarna

With thirty minutes to spare, I finished this little wall-hanging before the deadline this afternoon. I have never made a sleeve, didn't have time to figure that out this afternoon, and was also afraid that this wouldn't hang flat, so I gave this technique I found on Ami Simm's Alzheimers Project site a try. I'm not sure it really is best for a hexagon (or for the relatively stretchy fabric I used on the back of this), but I think it will work for now. The whole thing is 32" from point to point. This quilt, along with eight others, will be hanging in Vaasa's city library from May 7th - 25th. It's a fitting place since this quilt was part of a challenge around the theme 'mother or motherhood' and will be a gift for my own librarian mom. As I explained a couple posts back, my mom chose these fabrics when we were in Paris a year and a half ago. I like how the colorful border looks a bit like nautical signal flags. Someone also suggested this afternoon that it was a good pattern for the theme since the Atlantic lies between me and my mom.


I also whipped up something else over the weekend. This bathmat was an experiment (and is for me - it even matches my Marimekko curtain). I have enough of the terrycloth samples (from 1967/8!) for second one for a gift, too. It's a bit lumpy - maybe it needs a little more quilting. I used a thicker towel for the back (solid orange) and it was tricky to get under the foot on my machine, but otherwise, a good quick project!

9 comments:

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a gorgeous little quilt! I'm going to have to give that a try some time.

Fiona said...

I love the border, I think it's my favourite part!

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh your wall hanging has turned out beautifully. Of course the maritime flags fit the theme and the border fabric is a gorgeous colour - it's really unusual to see cornflower blue fabrics here for some reason.

Libby said...

Love your sailboats - they are so colorful and happy. Your hanging solution looks just perfect. I'll have to be sure to file that idea away for future reference.

Anonymous said...

Love the bathmat--fun colors!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

the pieced border really sets it off. perfect choice.

Jenni said...

The little boats are very cute - love the colours you have chosen. Are the fabrics Provencal type prints? Very summery. As is your bathmat. The colours are very Marimeko - did you use your walking foot? My walking foot seems a bit lazy at the moment - it isn't walking that well.

Granny Fran said...

Great quilt and great method of hanging it.

Anonymous said...

I love your boats quilt !!!! Did you tell jenny that you did it ??? You should post a pic on the blog !!!!!