Friday, September 21, 2007

Flags Flown


I can finally post real photos of this formerly secret project because it's arrived in Germany. A friend moved to Munich from Vaasa this summer and these little Nordic Cross flags are her belated bon voyage and early birthday gift! (Clockwise from the upper left: Åland, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.) Here are a couple closer up:


On the backs you can see a bit of my continued efforts at free-motion quilting. I chose fabrics that had some meanings for us - back in December, I made Olivia the Owl with this friend. The map is good for us both, as are the letters (she taught German here in Vaasa). The fish fabric is on the back of the Norwegian flag, where we traveled together this summer, and was purchased in Sweden, where we both studied! The hedgehog needs no explanation...

6 comments:

Patti said...

What a thoughtful gift! I know she will cherish these as they'll bring back so many memories of the good times you spent together.

Vicki W said...

What a cool gift idea!

Unknown said...

They are great, just like the one you sent me.

dutchcomfort said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift for your friend! They all look great.

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed with the thought that you put into each flag. Your free motion quilting looks very good. Very special!

Anonymous said...

I love teh flags -- what a great project for a traveling friend :-)

Your mushroom catch looks delicious too.